Win CE 5 Device SW Remote Problem

General HouseBot discussion. Any issues that don't fit into any of the other topics belong here.
bryan

Win CE 5 Device SW Remote Problem

Post by bryan »

Hi, I'm trying to get the SW Remote to run on an IVC Displays CE 5.0 Client. The error I'm getting refers to missing application or application components. From past posts, it looks like I need additional DLLs to download or an ability to recompile the client. I tried the fakeddlls package referenced in an old Meedio post but no joy (I think these were for CE 4.2 anyway).

I have a 5.0 device that runs the client correctly, so the DLLs are at least available, but without knowing what I need, I can't proceed.

Does anyone have an idea on how I can solve this problem?

Thanks,
Bryan
bryan

Update

Post by bryan »

Well, after additional research, I found a program to tell me what DLLs are missing from the HPC build on these displays (executabilitycheck). Frankly I wasn't aware of the differences between HPC and PPC builds (my PPC device runs the swremote fine) but alas...

The missing DLLs are
mfcce300
coredll
commctrl
aygshell
winsock
gx (possible, but I have it installed, so it doesn't show up as missing)

I've found a few of the files for an ARM processor on the web, but stopped looking when I couldn't find commctrl. I think the *right* way to fix this problem is with compile/link time options in the swremote build. Can anybody confirm this?

Any thoughts on how to fix?
bryan

Update 2

Post by bryan »

Well, after additional searching and testing, here is what happens:

If I download the swremote only, windows ce complains that there may be components missing. If I download mfcce300.dll, the error stays the same. If I then download doclist.dll, ce complains that swremote is not a valid windows CE application (different from the first error). I've tried many different ARM processor variations of doclist.dll, but the result is always the same. Same with mfcce300.

The other dll's I listed above are in fact in my windows directory (from the orginal distribution), so I'm not sure why they're being reported as missing by executabilitycheck. I've had no luck using regsvrce.exe to register a dll (either mfcce300 or doclist), which may validate that I'm not downloading the right type of dll's.

I believe there are linker options in the SDK to link these libs directly into the application at build time as opposed to assuming they're available within the environment to handle the differences between PPC and HPC, but I need someone with access to the SDK to validate this and I'll need Scott to rebuild the remote accordingly.
bryan

Final Post on this Topic

Post by bryan »

I've tried the SW remote on two ARM ce.net devices now - one running 4.2 and the other running 5.0. Neither works. The fakeddlls don't help. I'm fairly sure the problem will require more than simple lib replacement as I conducted the following test:

Run SWRemote on device ->error related to missing components (libs)
Hex edit SWRemote changing reference to mfcce300.dll to mfcce400.dll (300 is not a standard lib on 4.2/5.0 - 400 is) - 1 location in file
Run SWRemote on device ->error reporting invalid ce file
Repeat hex edit step above changing back to 300.
Run SWRemote on device -> error related to missing components again.

So, once all of the libs are available and native (no net downloads), the app errors out with invalid file problems that I can't fix from a hex editor (I don't think).

If anyone has had a different experience, I'd really appreciate a pointer. If not, I think waiting for scottbot to recompile specifically for ce.net is the only choice.

Bryan
PT

CE4.2

Post by PT »

Bryan
I have swremote working fine on an airsync v210 running ce net 4.2 there are only 4 fake dlls that i installed and use the sw remote for PPC

let me know if you need further info

try adding shortcut to desktop then running
Regards

PT

If it isn't broke,fix it till it is!