Calling Sonos users

General HouseBot discussion. Any issues that don't fit into any of the other topics belong here.
Osler
HouseBot Guru

Post by Osler »

Latest SonosHHImages folder located below. This is the most up-to-date image folder.

Osler
Last edited by Osler on Fri Feb 01, 2008 5:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
CouchPotatoe

Post by CouchPotatoe »

Just wanted to let you know I haven't had a lot of time this week w/e to play but from what I've seen so far it's looking really good :D

Kevin :D
CouchPotatoe

Post by CouchPotatoe »

I keep finding that some of my players aren't updating and when I check I find the script isn't running for those ones. I assume this is being caused by a runtime error but I don't see any dialogs.. what can I do to help locate this ??

Kevin
Osler
HouseBot Guru

Post by Osler »

Hmm...let me take a look at it this evening. I think I may know what is causing this....but I thought I had fixed it.

Osler
CouchPotatoe

Post by CouchPotatoe »

Before you spend too much time on this could it be an interaction with another instance of your script ( Jeremy's running in another application) ? I will try and narrow this down , I am fairly sure it has happened when I don't have the other script running but I'll double check it and confirm K
Osler
HouseBot Guru

Post by Osler »

It could be...but I doubt it. My scripts have been running without problems....however, your usage patterns are vastly different than mine and I would point the finger at my code before I did anyone elses. I've been meaning to add some additional error reporting to the script so this isn't a big deal. It may be a few weeks before a new version is ready (gone for all of next week). If it becomes an annoyance, revert back to the prior script version and try to live without linking for a bit.

Osler
Osler
HouseBot Guru

Post by Osler »

Attached is a version of the script with enhanced error tracing. Please let me know the last error message in the log when you find the script has suddenly quit. Traced errors may show up without a disconnect so don't get too wigged out if your log has new and exciting stuff in it.

I will likely add a more robust connection check in the near future to ensure the script stays connected to the zp in the event it is turned off or the router momentarily goes down, etc. This will require a bit of code but should improve the reliability of the script.

Also, it appears there are more users of this script out there than CP. If you could please provide me with 1) feedback and 2) request for enhancements (i.e., magic songs, volume ramping, all-zone announcement of events, etc.) so I can identify what most users are after, that would be great.

Osler
Last edited by Osler on Fri Feb 01, 2008 5:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
CouchPotatoe

Post by CouchPotatoe »

Going to update the script now and try it.

As mentioned I have been seeing these in my current script, is this one you trapped ?
Line 872 Char 2 Error:0 Type Mismatch CInt

<RANT>
Also one of my favourite Sonos features has vanished now :(
Pandora have been forced to block their last overseas country - the UK from accessing their service. Not their fault - it is the lack of understanding / vision / greed ? from the various royalty licensing organisations in the UK re personalised radio (where one track is only being broadcast to one listener) :x :x :x I heard there are similar issues still to resolve in the US.
Pandora introduced me to many new , lesser known artists and I bought their CD's too - this will really hurt these artists far more than the better known ones.
</RANT>

K
Osler
HouseBot Guru

Post by Osler »

You're still seeing that error? The latest script should have fixed it (1.04.1). If you are still seeing it with this script version, let me know. The only thing that is different about 1.04.1a is the error tracing to try to allow me to focus on the part of the script that is having a run-time error. Once I know where to look, I can try to trap it.

Also, turn off tracing for all properties in the script device except "State".

Osler
CouchPotatoe

Post by CouchPotatoe »

Yes .. I do still see these.
I double checked that the current running version is 1.04.01 and that each ZP is using that script.

K
CouchPotatoe

Post by CouchPotatoe »

Anyone using the script - do a search for 'then then' and replace with 'then' there's a few crept in.

K

<edit> I don't seem to be getting any errors with this script Osler... :-)
laserchris

Post by laserchris »

Apologies for this, I have never used housebot before. I have stumbled across is while looking for something to control sonos! This looks perfect. However I am a little unsure as to what I need and how to setup the images and scripts contained here.. could someone point me to a dummys guide on how to set it all up for use with SONOS.
thanks
Chris
Osler
HouseBot Guru

Post by Osler »

1. Install HouseBot
2. Download the .hbx file and place it in C:\Program Files\HouseBot\Config\Import folder
3. Download the SonosHH Images file and put it in C:\Program Files\HouseBot\Config\Themes folder
4. Download the latest scripts (ZonePlayer_Device_1.04.1a and UniqueDeviceNames) and put it in C:\Program Files\HouseBot\Config\Scripts

Restart HouseBot and import the items from the .hbx file.

Double click the UniqueDeviceNames script and this should create C:\UniqueDeviceNames.txt. Open this file and this will give you the unique device name (UDN) for each of your ZonePlayers. Place this UDN in the script device UDN property. You will need a script device unique to each of your zones with a specific naming scheme (i.e., for Family Room the device name would be ZP_Family Room). You can rename the imported script devices as needed. Once the UDN has been set, change the script device state to "Running".

You will need to edit the theme to go along with any changes in device names you have made. If giving this a test drive, don't make any device name changes and simply drop your ZP UDN in place of the devices imported UDN and set it to "Running".

Now, in the left pane select software remote and click the botton for "Add Remote". Give it a nice name and sets its default theme to Sonos800x480.

Navigate to C:\Program Files\HouseBot\Clients\Winx86 and double click the SWRemote program. On start-up it will ask for the ip address of the server (127.0.0.1 for local use) as well as a software remote to use. Choose the newly named remote and click ok. This should start an instance of the SWRemote using the software remote with a default theme for sonos control. This theme will handle up to 3 zones at the moment. It can be edited to add more as needed.

Osler
Osler
HouseBot Guru

Post by Osler »

CP:

So you are getting the disconnect but no errors are being reported?

If this is the case then i need to go and add increased error reporting in the .wsc.

I am playing with asynchronous find at the moment and trying to get it to work. No joy this evening...but I am just back from vacation and am surely not firing on all cylinders. If I can get this to work then it will continually check to see if the ZP is on the network and attempt to reconnect if it drops.

As an aside.....my script ran for a week unattended on my machine. Admittedly there was no "use" of the system with me out of town. But still...

Osler
laserchris

Post by laserchris »

apologies , but I cant see the UniqueDeviceNames script anywhere?