JukeBox Capability for HouseBot - Do you want it?

General HouseBot discussion. Any issues that don't fit into any of the other topics belong here.
Circe640
Advanced Member

JukeBox Capability for HouseBot - Do you want it?

Post by Circe640 »

I have started working on a Plugin that would provide JukeBox capability for HouseBot. The first part is a separate .exe that allows you to manage the underlying database as well as initally crawl through your directories to create the database. For the crawler to work properly there has to be some structure to your music directories. Are the following rules too restrictive for the rest of the group.

(1)

Directory Structure follows this format

Root Music Directory

Category Directories

Artist Directories

Album Directories

There can be NO files in any directory(sub-directories only) until you reach the Album directories

(2) For the program to find the cover art and playlist file during crawling, they must be in the album directory that they apply to. Crawler will find the first playlist and first .jpg file. If you want to change the cover art file it can be edited afterwards in the program.

(3) For those who want to x-categorize artists and albums into more than one category, a complete set of forms will allow editing all retrieved info and adding addition category/artist/album x-references

(4) This program is fairly simple and straightforward(stupid). Once I have Part 2 - the actual HouseBot plug-in done, then I will come back and add more functionality to it and pretty it up.

Responses needed!!!!!
ScottBot
Site Admin

Post by ScottBot »

I'm glad to hear somebody is looking into this. I think any type of media Device for HouseBot is a good fit.

With HouseBot I install a "Play list Manager" application that is a simple version of what you are developing. It can be used with the Playlist Device. I didn't use a Category directory because:
  • My ripping software (MusicMatch) will not include a category directory when saving the MP3's. Other ripping apps may be similar.
  • As you mentioned, you may want to categorize an artist into multiple categories. Even individual tracks could easily be categorized differently.
Scott
MichaelK

Post by MichaelK »

I'm completely and totally interested. Since it will obviously use the mp3 codec (or other audio codecs) on the machine, could this also be used to play movies?
kbosscawen

Post by kbosscawen »

I already do something similar through just the WinAmp plugin and directory controls, but it doesn't have the x-referencing capabilities that you're talking about - I'd be VERY interested in that. I'm assuming, too, that your plug-in would have a "cleaner" interface - When I'm building a playlist through my theme the full directory path has to be included, which just junks up the UI. Another limitation of what I've put together is the inability to pick/add multiple MP3s to the list at a time - They have to be added one-by-one. I'd like to be able to click on an album, or even an artist, or even a music type, and be able to play all of those songs either serially or randomly.

You asked!! :wink: I'm looking forward to it!
Circe640
Advanced Member

Design Continued

Post by Circe640 »

The intent is that this would be a CD Jukebox type player.

It would take advantage of the existing HouseBot playlist/Winamp functionality.

The Plugin portion would provide the properties/values that would allow you to create a Xlobby/myHTPC type of interface in HouseBot especially if Scott will do a resizing image control (bug,bug,bug) so that the covers can be displayed as thumbnails and controlled image.

Selecting an album would place the playlist path/filename into the existing playlist control and from there, you can use the existing playlist functionality to drive Winamp i.e. select a song and play it automatically or play the complete playlist. Scott already has solid code to do this and this would also allow taking advantage of HouseBot replication and other intrinsic HouseBot functions.

Right now I am more concerned as to whether the path structure/constraints for the directories are a problem for people.

The base code for the directory crawler / database editor is fairly complete and functional. Need to due some final tweaks to handle odd problems.
Steve Horn
HouseBot Guru

Post by Steve Horn »

Yes, I'm interested. I've been wanting an alternative to the NIRVIS CDJ, which is a little quirky and has a user interface that is a bit too 'busy'. As Scott said, this is a good fit for HB. All of my stuff currently is CD-based, but I've been toying with the idea of ripping some of my old vinyl to MP3 instead of CD in order to save space on the hardware jukebox. Have not had a chance to work with Scott's Playlist plugin, although I did download it. Keep us informed of your progress.
Steve
Circe640
Advanced Member

Update

Post by Circe640 »

Crawler can now handle either

\mymusic\category\artist\album

or

\mymusic\artist\album

it will set the internal category to 'All'

I have also implemented the concept of collections

a collection equates to a directory structure i.e.

collectiona is \mymusic\mycategories\myartists\myablbums

collectionb might be \mykidsmusic\theirartists\theiralbums

collectionc mightbe \hermusic\herartists\heralbums

This resolves one problem and now only means that you need one instance of the jukebox device. Collection Name will be a device property

allowing the switching back and forth between collections

I am in the final stages of debugging the enhancements and hope to start the actual Plugin next week. I don't think I can make it a Christmas present for HouseBot. Too much testing and documenting required. I don't want to release it until it is documented well enough for people to understand how to set it up.
acheslow

Post by acheslow »

Just wanted to let everyone know that I've been testing JukeBot (on HouseBot beta 2 no less) and it looks really nice. Jim has provided a very nice platform on which you can build just about type of jukebox type functionality and frontend that you want to. I'm going to start working on my own custom frontend using his device but in the meantime here are some screenshots of my software remote using the sample theme that Jim provides. Click on the thumbnails for full-sized images.

Image Image Image Image Image
Last edited by acheslow on Thu Mar 04, 2004 7:48 am, edited 1 time in total.
ScottBot
Site Admin

Post by ScottBot »

It's looking great. :!:

I know Jim's been doing a lot of good work writing this, and I'm happy to see it coming together.
Scott
dhec

Jukebot

Post by dhec »

Jukebot looks fantastic! :D

Can I get my hands on it??
Circe640
Advanced Member

Very Shortly!!!

Post by Circe640 »

I am in the final stages of cleaning up and the really hard stuff - DOCUMENTING how to use it.

This is only one of three plugins coming in the next week or so

JukeBot

WeatherReport

MoviePro

These are all being tested with Beta 2 and will run in that version

Jim
kbosscawen

Post by kbosscawen »

Whew! You just saved me some work! I was going to start putting something together for weather and movies myself.

I'm looking forward to all three!!
dhec

Post by dhec »

Thanks, Jim!!

Look forward to it!
Bohemian

Post by Bohemian »

Jim:

Any update on JukeBot? Nothing urgent, I just saw your Weather display (very nice by the way!) and was curious as to where you were at with this ongoing project.
Circe640
Advanced Member

JukeBot is in Scott's Hands

Post by Circe640 »

I have just forwarded the final version with an automatic install to Scott for one final test. If it clears his validation, then he shold be posting it tonight or tomorrow.

I hope to have the MoviePro plugin for use with DVD Profiler ready on the weekend. I will include some sample data with that one so that people who don't use DVD Profiler can run the example. I will be looking for feedback as to whether people would like to have the ability to manually enter data for non-DVD movies VCD, Laser Disc, etc after they have seen the sample

Thanks

Jim