Looking at Housebot & need some help

General HouseBot discussion. Any issues that don't fit into any of the other topics belong here.
jwilson56

Looking at Housebot & need some help

Post by jwilson56 »

Ok I am new here... did a bit of searching but thought I would ask also.

I currently use Homeseer & Netremote. I am looking into Meedio/Housebot as a replacement. I have a few functions that need to be met.

1) I use a NetcallerID box for my caller ID. The caller information is sent to several 'clients' which pop up a caller ID log showing the past 15 calls. Also the caller information is 'announced' via a high quality TTS voice from Brightspeech and then stored into a text log. Lastly the CID is sent to the YAC listening clients. Does Meedio/Housebot have these functions?

2) I use JRMC for my music database/player which uses a lossless format called APE for about 700 CD's. I would like to use my current database/player as is. Does Meedio/Housebot support the multiple zone features of JRMC. I have 5 zones and each client/zone can view and control its own CD.

3) I use the Slink-e interface for my IR needs as well as some minor slink commands (no CD changers). I use several of its independant IR zones to control my zone amps. I also send some slink commands via the Slink interface to my Sony ES receiver. Some of these commands can not be duplicated via IR. Each client can control any of these 5 amps independantly. Does Housbot support the Slink-e?

4) From the above example you can see I have a multiple client front end setup. I currently run two Fujitsu 3400's and three PC's. I also use a PPC but that will be done away with soon. Each client is independant but can control the lights (X10), check the weather, control a JRMC zone, control each zones FM tuner, ect. Does Meedio/Housebot run in a client/server setup?

5) I like to create my own look and feel. My 'Now Playing' Netremote skin is one example. Does Meedio allow the user to create their own skin and allow buttons to send IR and X10 commands or even play macro's?

6) I see that HB supports Girder. Will HB receive girder payloads and fire of events from them?

Here is a sample of my interface screen.

Thanks for your help.

John
Attachments
main1.jpg
main1.jpg (116.07 KiB) Viewed 2109 times
Last edited by jwilson56 on Thu Aug 10, 2006 1:26 pm, edited 2 times in total.
jwilson56

Post by jwilson56 »

Hmmmm no replies....
ScottBot
Site Admin

Re: Looking at Housebot & need some help

Post by ScottBot »

jwilson56 wrote:1) I use a NetcallerID box for my caller ID. The caller information is sent to several 'clients' which pop up a caller ID log showing the past 15 calls. Also the caller information is 'announced' via a high quality TTS voice from Brightspeech and then stored into a text log. Lastly the CID is sent to the YAC listening clients. Does Meedio/Housebot have these functions?
That's the first I've seen of the netcallerID box. Pretty decent price! HouseBot supports receiving caller ID info via caller ID modem. Since the callerID box sends via RS232, you could probably use the Housebot 'Generic Serial Device' and a VB script to handle the incoming data. Once you have it parsed and sent to a Device Property, it can trigger tasks, be sent to software remotes, etc.
2) I use JRMC for my music database/player which uses a lossless format called APE for about 700 CD's. I would like to use my current database/player as is. Does Meedio/Housebot support the multiple zone features of JRMC. I have 5 zones and each client/zone can view and control its own CD.
HouseBot doesn't currently support JRMC. Depending on what kind of program control JRMC provides, you may be able to use the HouseBot Windows Message Device or something like that to control it. The best way would be to write a full plugin like we have for WinAmp.
3) I use the Slink-e interface for my IR needs as well as some minor slink commands (no CD changers). I use several of its independant IR zones to control my zone amps. I also send some slink commands via the Slink interface to my Sony ES receiver. Some of these commands can not be duplicated via IR. Each client can control any of these 5 amps independantly. Does Housbot support the Slink-e?
Yes, there is support for SlinkE. I'd suggest running the trial and making sure it meets all your needs.
4) From the above example you can see I have a multiple client front end setup. I currently run two Fujitsu 3400's and three PC's. I also use a PPC but that will be done away with soon. Each client is independant but can control the lights (X10), check the weather, control a JRMC zone, control each zones FM tuner, ect. Does Meedio/Housebot run in a client/server setup?
Yes. HouseBot (quit saying Meedio :wink: ) is client server. The heart of the controller is the server. You can have any number of software remotes that act as 2-way skinnable control interfaces to the server.
5) I like to create my own look and feel. My 'Now Playing' Netremote skin is one example. Does Meedio allow the user to create their own skin and allow buttons to send IR and X10 commands or even play macro's?
Yes, the UI on the SWRemotes is 100% skinnable. You can use your own graphics or choose from some of the stock images. Pressing buttons on the SWRemote will change Device Properties back at the server (or execute Tasks, Modes, etc). Once you play with HB a bit and get a better understanding of how the Devices and Properties work, you'll see that they are the common backbone of the system and can be leveraged in many different ways.
6) I see that HB supports Girder. Will HB receive girder payloads and fire of events from them?
No. The girder bridge device allows HB to control Girder, not the other way. You can, however, setup events in Girder to call the HouseBot external control program to effectively control HouseBot.

Hope that helps!
Scott
redbeard

Post by redbeard »

I aslo have a NetCallerID, but unfortunately, I don't have any info on what it uses for a protocol. Does anyone know where to find this info?
- rb
ScottBot
Site Admin

Post by ScottBot »

I've not found it. However, the data received in hyperterm looks pretty straight forward. I'm thinking of modifying a version of the ModemPhoneStatus hardware interface for the netcallerID device. That would give it the CID name override feature and work with the existing Phone Line Status Device.

Only difference is that it doesn't register rings. Only CID.
Scott
redbeard

Post by redbeard »

That would help here. I tried using an older USR Courier with CID, but for some reason HB wouldn't show the name or number. The info is being sent properly. I do get the number of rings and date/time changing.

Does the CID detail have to match an entry in the hardware interface caller ID configuration or is it supposed to pull the info passed from the modem and populate the CID device? If a match is required, this won't work for some calls up here that don't show a name with cell phones. I've tried both with and without the name, and I still don't get name/number in the CID device.

I wish I had a better handle on debugging this stuffso I wasn't bothering you with all this.
- rb
roussell
Advanced Member

Post by roussell »

Sorry if this is over-simplified, I'm not sure of your familiarty with modem-stuff. :)
Make sure your modem supports caller ID and that it is enabled inside the modem. I have seen modems where CID was dip-switch selectable and more often, it is turned on/off through AT commands. The particular command usually depends on the modem but may me something like ATCID=1.

Connect to your modem through Hyper terminal (included with Windows) and call in. You should see the rings and the CID stuff come across the hyper term window. If it dosen't, then your modem isn't setup for it, or doesnt support it. Of course, it you can't see the CID info in Hyperterm, Housebot won't see it either.

Hope this helps.
Terry
ScottBot
Site Admin

Post by ScottBot »

redbeard wrote:Does the CID detail have to match an entry in the hardware interface caller ID configuration or is it supposed to pull the info passed from the modem and populate the CID device?
No. This will just override the CID info sent from the phone company.
I wish I had a better handle on debugging this stuffso I wasn't bothering you with all this.
If you enable tracing on the hardware interface, it will show everything that is received and some internal waypoints to help diagnose the problem.
To generate a trace file:
  1. Select the Hardware Interface from the Tree View.
  2. Click on the 'Hardware Module Type' button at the top of the Interface Property list.
  3. Click on the 'Enabled' checkbox to turn on tracing.
  4. Try and use the interface again. This should generate data in the log file.
  5. Turn the tracing off by clearing the 'Enabled' checkbox set previously.
  6. The trace file can be found in the HouseBot\Logs directory.
Scott
redbeard

Post by redbeard »

Thanks roussell, I do have a lot of experience with modems and networking and such. I had already confirmed the modem was sending CID data without problems, HB just wasn't picking it up.

I swapped modems with another old USR Courier and it is working now. I have no idea what the issue was - I even captured the data being sent and analyzed it for any high-order characters, etc. The other modem just didn't work with HB. Switches were all set properly.

Thanks again, Scott, I can't seem to think "tracing" - I always think "logging". Just a personal syntax error. ;-)
- rb
roussell
Advanced Member

Post by roussell »

Glad you got it going.

BTW, how is the trial going? I've been following since I know from the CT forums and the 1.7 Homeseer forums that you are a HS user from way back. I've been trying everything out there to try and find the best fit, even writing stuff of my own... I think I've pretty much decided to go to Housebot, I've found ways to make it do most everything I need it to do. Streaming video was the last hurdle, and while that one isn't totally resolved, I did find an old post where Scottbot showed how to update a dynamic image very quickly which results in a time-lapse 2-3 second delay video to the clients. Again, not perfect but will work for my needs, plus Housebot is the price of two HS plugins these days... :wink:
redbeard

Post by redbeard »

Ok, let's go OT for a bit...

I'm still learning HB, as time permits. I think it is going well. I have it controlling my necessary lighting changes, and now CID is working so I will probably hook that into a voice (TTS) announcement or graphic pop-up on recognition, or something. Scott has been very helpful in figuring out what I mean with all my messed up talk... different package, different syntax!

If you've read some of my old posts on the HS board, you probably know I approach all this HA stuff on the cheap! ;-)

Yes, I have been an HS user for 11+ years - has it been that long? I'm finding that, like the operating and development systems it is based on, it is becoming too bloated and too much of a system hog to continue using it. I like the fact that it has a lot of features, but when I have to start unloading all other software from the system just to run one package on the best machine I have, and the latest "stable" version is a mere subset of what it was three years ago, it's time to look around. That's not what I call progress. I'm not too happy about the direction HST has taken with their move to 2.1 and .NET, etc. But I'm not going to get into a long, drawn-out discussion about it. I used to have quite a system when I lived in Florida. It was described on the HS site - User Profiles off the Company page. (Gordon Cunningham)

Hence my trial of HB. I like the fact that it appears to be pretty extensible with user-added properties, scripting, and an SDK (not that I'd get much use out of it - I'm not much of a VB programmer these days even though I'd like to be). I do like the fact that HB is lean and quick. I have a long way to go to set up the various aspects with HB that I feel using the PC adds to home automation - namely superior conditional logic in scripts, TTS, voice recognition, graphical touchscreens, cams, etc. But I'm starting over in a new home from the ground up, so I can afford to look around right now.

I'd like to see HB flourish, there's no doubt it is a great start. I'd also like to see Linux- and even Palm-OS-based clients and maybe even a Linux version of HB. I didn't care for the way Misterhouse loops, even though I'm an old-time multiple BBS admin from waaaaaayyyy back. hehe Although, with Perl just about ANYTHING is possible these days.

For me, screens are nice, but the meat is the capabilities to get things done under the hood - tie into other systems, extensive command-line or other interfacing like xAP. I'm looking for a new webcam package that offers good streaming capabilities (used to use iVista), tie-in to Asterisk to replace my aging Cybergenie system, AV control is nice but a serious can of worms, lighting control, and data acquisition and logging. I can write my own analysis packages. I need/want to monitor my house temps and heating fuel levels, and weather station. Maybe do some run-time logging for expensive systems in the house, like the oil burner or AC unit.

I'll probably flesh out a personal web interface for HB since I have some older Audreys I can use for touchscreens. Old technology, but still usable - and already paid for! I've already got Apache and IIS on various systems - we'll just have to see how well HB integrates there. Also want to integrate MRTG, and my network monitoring and notification system, etc.

So I'm hoping HB will grow to be able to meet all these challenges. And I think if the community starts catching on, it'll happen. I'll see how far I can take it here. It'll be one of the tools in my HA toolbox that gets things done.
- rb
ScottBot
Site Admin

Post by ScottBot »

If anyone has a NetCallerID box and would like to test a Hardware Interface for HouseBot, send me an email ([email protected]) and let me know.
Scott