Housebot quits for no reason (after 1.5x upgrade?)

Having problems? Maybe others have had the same problem too. Post HouseBot technical issues here.
Redbeard25

Housebot quits for no reason (after 1.5x upgrade?)

Post by Redbeard25 »

:?

This happens with 1.50 and 1.51

I'm getting "ACCESS_VIOLATION" in my dumps when it happens... can't explain much more.

Dumps:

9/25

9/26

9/27

I turned on logging for several variables yesterday in hopes that something would explain the crash... but got nothing.

9/27 log
ScottBot
Site Admin

Post by ScottBot »

What OS and version are you running? And have you upgraded or installed any patches recently?

Can you look to see what version your msvcrt.dll and mfc42.dll files are? They are located in your C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32 directory. If you right mouse click on the files in the explorer and select 'Properties' and click on the 'version' tab, it should show the file version there.

Thanks,

Scott
Redbeard25

Post by Redbeard25 »

Win XP, Service Pack 1. I haven't done anything recently... that I can remember. Pretty much all that is running on this machine is Housebot.

mfc42 is 6.0.8665.0

msvcrt is 7.0.2600.1106
ScottBot
Site Admin

Post by ScottBot »

Redbeard,

You are running the exact same configuration and version of DLLs as my development machine, so everything looks good.

I'm tracking down another report of a similar problem. Your problem may very well be related, so I'd like to try and have you both try the solutions together. Check out this post and download the ZIP file in the post to try.

Also, if you could send me your HBData.mdb file and any additional dump files to [email protected], that would be great.

Thanks,

Scott
Redbeard25

Post by Redbeard25 »

Sent the MDB, and installed the new EXE and DLL files. The timing was something I neglected to include in my bug report :oops: - mine seems to shut down in the middle of the night too... and I wouldn't be surprised if it was midnight.

Just FYI, the LDB file was there when I went to find the MDB one, so if HouseBot is anything like running "straight" MS Access, it was probably some sort of inelegant exit... not shutting down the database correctly.

I'll report back next time we get past midnight.

Thanks for your quick responses, Scott!
Redbeard25

Post by Redbeard25 »

Well - shortly after I woke up this morning, HouseBot had quit again. It did begin to run the "Wake Up" script, because the Bathroom Light came on. I wish I could make it quit more predictably so that I could watch it! :D

Anyway - I take this to mean that my shutdown issues are not related to system time... at least system time = midnight.
Redbeard25

Post by Redbeard25 »

I saw it quit! :o

Okay, here's the current situation:

Running HB 1.51b

Using the "old" CM11A DLL (gives me errors in some macros.)

Of course, now I can't re-create the error. :-/

When it happened, I was trying to get HB to change the power state of "Bedroom Patrick's Lamp" and it will not work. I can change it in HB, but it seems not to send the X10 signal. "Bedroom Overhead Light" seems to work fine.

Here's a real off the wall idea... what about the single quote mark in "Patrick's Lamp?" Might that be throwing off a query somewhere?
ScottBot
Site Admin

Post by ScottBot »

Redbeard,

Can you send me the dump file and any log files that you have. I saw something suspicious in your 9/27 log file, but have not been able to tie it to the problem. With more data, I may be able to dig a little deeper.

Also, please try the old CM11A DLL that I sent. I'm curious to see if it works any better.

I just tried testing with a Device with single quotes and it works fine.

Scott
ScottBot
Site Admin

Post by ScottBot »

Redbeard,

I reread your message and you WERE using the old CM11 DLL. Please put the new one back.

If you can turn on a bunch of tracing, it might help track this down.

To generate a trace file:
  1. From the HouseBot main menu, select 'Settings/Tracing...'.
  2. Press the 'Advanced' button.
  3. Select the name of the CM11A interface in the list (it will be prefixed with an asterisk).
  4. Select the 'File' checkbox and enter a file name in the edit field below (file name only).
  5. Do the same for your Devices and Tasks that you find in the list.
  6. Press OK to dismiss all dialogs.
  7. Try and use the interface again. This should generate data in the log file. Run HB until it dies.
  8. Send the trace file and dump file to me at '[email protected]'. The file can be found in the HouseBot\Logs directory.
  9. Turn the tracing off by returning to the 'Advanced' tracing dialog and removing all of the the checks by the 'File' option that you set previously.
BTW, if you use the newest CM11A Plugin (version 1.05), you can remove the multiple Dim command sending by using something like "L;4;Dim;10". This is something you pointed out as a bug earlier, but I missed it. It was fixed in version 1.05. Note, if you change to using this simpler notation, the problem may even go away. Although it would be interesting to know if the simple notation fixes the problem, I would still like to find the original problem.

Scott
Redbeard25

Post by Redbeard25 »

Scott,

I think I may have overwritten the new CM11A DLL. All the ones I can find seem to have a version number of 1.0.0.0, including the one I download from my previous error thread. Can you zip and email or post the 1.05 version?

Thanks!
Redbeard25

Post by Redbeard25 »

Wait - I got it. I can see the version numbers in the logs. My bad! :oops:

I'll turn on tracing and see what happens.
Redbeard25

Post by Redbeard25 »

I got version 1.06 in my email today and will install it tonight. Unfortunately, there was a power outage this afternoon, so I can't report on the stability yet. :D
ScottBot
Site Admin

Post by ScottBot »

Redbeard,

Any luck? If not, can you send me the traces and dumps?

Thanks,

Scott
Redbeard25

Post by Redbeard25 »

So far... so good... with the last build of the CM11a plugin.

2 days, 1 hour, 53 minutes... and counting.

BTW, to enhance my laziness... so that I don't have to climb stairs to check my HouseBot computer, I've installed VNC. Works like a charm and it's FREE!
ScottBot
Site Admin

Post by ScottBot »

Redbeard,

That's great news. There were a couple of other patches that I wanted to get out, so I rolled the CM11a changes into version 1.52. You can download it if you want, but its pretty much the same thing you are running now.

My laziness also requires me to use VNC. It's amazing what you can get for free. :wink:

Scott